Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Learning and Development (Diploma)
This course is specifically targeted at those who currently hold coordination, managerial and supervisory responsibilities in corporate Learning and Development roles; as well as new participants entering this sector. The course aims to develop effective and responsible change agents to design, develop and operationalise strategic plans within their areas of responsibility and emphasises skills development around Coaching, Human Resource Management and Online Learning Development.
This blended learning course allows you to gain a one-year part-time Diploma in Learning and Development (30 ECTS) and is accredited at Level 8 on the NFQ.
Applications and Selections
Apply Online - online application link will be available in June 2018
Early application is advised as offers will be made on a rolling basis.
Who Teaches this Course
Requirements and Assessment
You will have to attend 1-day and 2-day workshops throughout the academic year, this usually amounts to 5 days in total.
Assessment shall be by means of a combination of written assignments, reflective journals, e-learning and multi-media exercises, group projects, practical assignments, and presentations.
Applicants are normally required to have a relevant coordination, managerial and or supervisory experience in the lifelong learning sector (e.g. FET, Corporate, Public or Community Service). However, new applicants to Learning and Development are invited to apply for this course.
Entry requirements for part-time students can be found in our FAQs section (i.e. age, english language requirements etc.). Applicants who do not satisfy these academic entry requirements can apply for this course through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
1 year, part-time
Next start date
A Level Grades ()
Next start date
Mode of study
Diploma in Learning and Development
This course will help you build your professional competence. On successful completion of the course you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an up-to-date specialised knowledge learning and development change management frameworks paying particular attention to identifying how their activities are shaped by organisational policies and economic conditions;
- Carry out a situation analysis with a view to gaining insights into the activities, implications and challenges of implementing strategy within a changing political, societal, economic and organisational environments;
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the concepts and models of coaching and mentoring and their role in enhancing individual performance in the workplace;
- Critically analyse core concepts, principles and models of human resource management and human resource development in relation to their application and their limitations;
- Explain the range of knowledge, skills and competence needed by learning and development practitioners to develop, facilitate and manage an effective virtual learning environment and the range of knowledge, skills and competence needed by learners to fully engage in collaborative virtual learning communities;
- Apply advance analytical skills to the practical considerations of establishing a virtual learning environment that encompasses online learning models and blended learning models;
- Self-assess personal strengths, characteristics and skills to evaluate and monitor personal and professional development;
- Perform professional roles and responsibilities in a way that fosters a climate of mutual support and trust, that instils an agentic culture of accomplishment and that enables continuous improvement of strategy implementation and change management processes.
For graduates who do not hold an undergraduate degree, this course offers exemptions into:
For graduates who hold an undergraduate degree the course offers progression with exemptions to:
Why Choose This Course?
This course will provide you with a recognised training qualification that can lead to or accelerate career opportunities in a wide range of areas such as:
- Corporate training and professional development sectors
- Further education and training sectors
- Voluntary and community-based training organisations
- Human resources and staff development areas of a wide range of organisations
- Private training providers
Who’s Suited to This Course
These courses are suitable to those from backgrounds such as:
- Learning and Development managers and practitioners;
- Vocational trainers;
- Solas instructors or people wishing to pursue a career as a trainer in Solas;
- Educational consultants;
- Human resource specialists;
- Those practising or planning a career as trainers in the educational, industrial, commercial, voluntary and community sectors.
Related Student Organisations
Fees: Student levy
Fees: Non EU
A fees scholarship of up to 30% may be available for students who wish to upskill for the purposes of re-employment. Students must be registered as unemployed and in receipt of one of the following:
- Job-seekers Benefit
- Job-seekers Allowance
- One-parent family allowance
- Disability allowance
- Community Employment Scheme
- Carer’s Allowance
- Signing for social insurance contribution credits
Please download the 2018_19 Fees Scholarship Form for more information.
Find out More
Adult Training and Education Studies
Centre for Adult Learning and Professional Development
Nuns' Island, Galway
Tel: 353 91 494058/494055