Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
French (Structured PhD)
PhD research in French at NUIG offers a wide range of areas in which PhD research can be undertaken. The major periods of literary production in French from the Middle Ages to the present day are covered as are Cultural and Linguistic topics dealing with the Francophone world. There are vibrant research clusters in French, research seminars and the opportunity to undertake translation-related topics.
As part of the doctoral training available on the Structured PhD programme, students avail themselves of a range of interdisciplinary taught modules. The wide menu of available options include modules that:
- are discipline-specific in that they augment the student’s existing knowledge in their specialist area.
- are dissertation-specific in that they supply core skills which are essential to completion of the research project.
- acknowledge a student’s professional development e.g. presentation of a paper at an International Conference
- enhance a student’s employability through generic training, e.g., Careers Workshops, Computer literacy.
Each student will be assigned a primary Supervisor(s) and a Graduate Research Committee made up of experienced researchers to plan their programme of study and to provide on-going support to their research.
Research supervision is available in the areas listed below.
Modules may be taken from approved structured PhD modules as per College regulations.
Structured PhD (French)—part-time
Applications are made online via the NUI Galway Postgraduate Applications System.
Who’s Suited to This Course
Current research projects
- French Sport
- Politics in France
- Children’s Literature
Current funded research opportunity
Related Student Organisations
Find a Supervisor / PhD Project
If you are still looking for a potential supervisor or PhD project or would like to identify the key research interests of our academic staff and researchers, you can use our online portal to help in that search
- 17th Century French Literature, Linguistics, Translation Theory, Travel Literature, Realism and Fantasy.
- French Canadian Literature and Society; Commercial French.
- History and Politics of French Decolonisation, History and Sociology of French Sport and Leisure, History and Sociology of French Rugby.
- Medieval literature (in particular 15th Century Literature and History), the Mémoires of Olivier de la Marche, Historiography, the Manneken Pis as Belgian regional icon, Illegitimacy 1300-1600.
- Autobiography, 20th Century French Literature, Yves Navarre, Autofiction, Diary, Writing and Identity.
- Gender and Language, Scientific French, French Language Teaching and New Technologies.
- Literature and Religion, Jean Sulivan.
- New Methodologies in Language Learning and Teaching, CALL, SALL, the Internet as a learning tool, French-Canadian Women’s Writing: Brossard, Martin, Marchessault, Laberge, etc.
- 19th-Century Poetry, Prose Poetry, Novel, Charles Baudelaire, Stendhal, Gender Studies, Critical Theory.